Job Description & Role Information
For employers looking to fill a Payroll Officer vacancy, the following sample position description can help you to attract the best candidates for the role. By tailoring this position description according to your company's specific job requirements, you have an excellent interview tool for comparison purposes.
For job seekers looking for a Payroll Officer role, this job description details what the role may involve and what skills and experience are required to give you the best chance of securing the position.
The Payroll function is critical to the organisation. Typically reporting to the Payroll Manager (in a larger organisation) or the Financial Controller, the Payroll Officer is responsible for the smooth running of the organisation's payroll.
Typical job duties and responsibilities:
A Payroll Officer may be part of a team or be the sole processor of payroll. They perform a wide range of job duties and responsibilities. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Complying with relevant awards and legislation
- Preparation and payment of all State and Federal tax obligations including PAYG tax, Payroll tax, Superannuation Guarantee contributions
- Processing new employee's contracts and terminations (from a payroll perspective)
- Ensuring accurate payroll transactions and payments
- Preparation and timely delivery of pay slips and annual payment summaries
- Managing Superannuation Choice funds for employees
- Managing leave entitlements and payments
- Liaise with ATO on any issues
- Assisting with month-end reporting
- Answering general payroll enquiries, including advice on awards, policies etc.
- Resolving payroll issues
- Employee record maintenance
- Working closely with HR and Finance departments
- Regular filing and archiving of payroll information
Skills and attributes:
- Comprehensive understanding of Modern Awards for their specific industry
- Knowledge of general payroll practices, procedures, operations and legislation
- Deadline focused
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to investigate issues and find solutions
- Honesty and integrity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously as well as part of a broader team
- Bachelor Degree in Finance or Economics, Certificate III in Business or Certificate III in Financial Services can be advantageous
- Advanced computer skills including, Microsoft Word and Excel
$55 - 75K + Super
To help start your recruitment process, click here to access our job description template.