Job Description & Role Information
For employers looking to fill a Business Analyst vacancy, the following sample position description can help you to attract the best candidates for the role. By tailoring this position description according to your company's specific job requirements, you have an excellent interview tool for comparison purposes.
For job seekers looking for a Business Analyst role, this job description details what the role may involve and what skills and experience are required to give you the best chance of securing the position.
A Business Analyst can either sit within the core Finance function or within the business. Their primary objective is to increase a company’s efficiency and profitability by providing meaningful commentary on the financial and operational results.
Typical job duties and responsibilities:
Reporting into a CFO/Financial Planning & Analysis Manager or Commercial Manager, Business Analysts provide analytical and operational support to improve the performance of the organisation. Their responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing commentary on year to date result comparisons to budgets and forecasts
- Reviewing existing operations, processes and procedures and recommending productivity or cost saving initiatives
- Evaluating previous budgets, expenditures and other areas to develop and implement future budgets
- Preparing business cases to support new investment, strategic and other business decisions
- Assisting with forecasting and budget preparation for revenue and costs
- Communicating results and recommendations to management and other stakeholders that would improve the overall business. These may include ways to reduce costs, streamline operations and generate revenue
- Providing insights to senior management around financial modelling, forecasts and profitability
- Working with systems to drive efficiency and use process reengineering to improve and upgrade systems
Skills and attributes:
Highly detail-oriented, analysts must possess strong analytical backgrounds but also need to be effective communicators as their role is to guide the business. Some of the more common skills and attributes that are most needed for this role include:
- Strong quantitative abilities including the ability to solve complex problems
- Advanced knowledge of financial modelling and business architecture
- Strong analytical background
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build relationships
- Ability to effectively communicate accounting concepts to non-finance staff including Sales, Marketing and Operations
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills
- High level of commercial acumen
- Good organisational and administration skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Advanced computer software skills, including Excel and other analytical tools
- Degree qualified with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
$80-120K + Super
To help start your recruitment process, click here to access our job description template.