Job Description & Role Information
For employers looking to fill a Bookkeeper vacancy, the following sample position description can help you to attract the best candidates for the role. By tailoring this position description according to your company's specific job requirements, you have an excellent interview tool for comparison purposes.
For job seekers looking for a Bookkeeper role, this job description details what the role may involve and what skills and experience are required to give you the best chance of securing the position.
Typically reporting to the Finance Manager, Bookkeepers play an essential role within an organisation administering the company's affairs.
Typical job duties and responsibilities
A Bookkeeper role can vary depending on the size of the organisation. Typical job duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the day to day accounting transactions
- Preparing the monthly accounts
- Liaising with the external Accountant for annual accounts and tax queries
- Reconciliation, preparation and lodgement of monthly or quarterly business activity statements (BAS)
- Reconciling bank accounts
- Managing the accounts payable function including the processing of invoices due for payment
- Managing the accounts receivable function including the allocation of payments
- Credit control of overdue payments
- Processing payroll and other related payroll tasks
- Basic HR administrative tasks
Skills and attributes:
The more common skills and attributes that are most needed for this role may include:
- Experience across a wide range of accounting functions
- Strong level of accuracy & attention to detail
- Ability to take responsibility and be accountable for workload
- Able to work autonomously and as part of a broader team
- Ability to solve problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills
- Intermediate computer software skills, including Excel and other financial accounting packages
- Bachelor of Business Degree / Diploma in Accounting
$50 - $70k + Super
To help start your recruitment process, click here to access our job description template.