Job Description & Role Information
For employers looking to fill an Assistant Accountant vacancy, the following sample position description can help you to attract the best candidates for the role. By tailoring this position description to your company's specific job requirements, you have an excellent interview tool for comparison purposes.
For job seekers looking for an Assistant Accountant role, this job description details what the role may involve and what skills and experience are required to give you the best chance of securing the position.
Typically reporting to the Finance Manager or Senior Accountant, an Assistant Accountant performs a range of accounting tasks that support the wider financial team. These tasks are likely to differ depending on the size of the company.
Typical job duties and responsibilities:
Being responsible for a wide range of duties to support the Financial and Management Accountants, the Assistant Accountant’s typical role may include the responsibilities as below:
- Preparation and processing of month end reporting up to the trial balance stage
- Processing of accruals, prepayments and subsequent journals
- Overseeing or assisting with the Fixed Assets Register
- Reconciliations including general Ledger and balance Sheet
- Processing foreign currency Payments (if applicable)
- Managing inter-company transactions (if applicable)
- Preparation of FBT, GST and BAS returns for the Manager to review before submission
- Lodgement of ABS returns
- Assisting with the preparation of budgeting and forecasting reports
- In smaller companies, involvement in the Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Payroll may be required
- Other ad hoc accounting duties to support the broader team
Skills and attributes:
The more common skills and attributes that are most needed for this role may include:
- Basic accounting skills as a minimum
- Ability to work within strict deadlines and reporting time tables
- Prioritisation and organisational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a wider team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Some knowledge of Australian Accounting Standards
- Able to show initiative and be a self-starter
- Intermediate computer software skills, including Excel (vlook ups and pivot tables) and Accounting packages
- Business Degree, with a major in Finance or Accounting
- Studying towards CPA / CA
$50 - 70K + Super
To help start your recruitment process, click here to access our job description template.