Job Description & Role Information
For employers looking to fill a Financial Accountant vacancy, the following sample position description can help you to attract the best candidates for the role. By tailoring this position description according to your company's specific job requirements, you have an excellent interview tool for comparison purposes.
For job seekers looking for a Financial Accountant role, this job description details what the role may involve and what skills and experience are required to give you the best chance of securing the position.
Generally reporting to the Financial Controller or Finance Manager, the Financial Accountant is responsible for the production of the company's financial report and for the fulfilment of other obligations such as tax and statutory reporting.
Typical job duties and responsibilities:
The Financial Accountant's job duties are broad and varied and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation of monthly financial reports covering balance sheet, profit and loss, internal management reports and cashflow statements
- Managing the general ledger including overseeing the monthly balance sheet, banking and inter-company reconciliations
- Completion of the monthly accruals, journals, fixed assets and depreciation schedules
- Weekly cash flow reporting
- Managing foreign currency payments (if relevant)
- Preparation of GST, FBT, Payroll and Corporate Income Tax returns
- Assisting in the preparation of year end statutory accounts
- Assisting with the budgeting and forecasting
- Ensuring Accounting standards and policies are adhered to
- Reporting consolidated results at a group level (if applicable)
- ASX reporting (if applicable)
- International reporting for global entities (e.g. US GAAP, SOX, IFRS)
- Supervision of any Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable staff
- Training and mentoring junior staff
- Liaison with external Auditors, Bank Managers and Tax specialists
- Assisting in process improvement and systems enhancement initiatives
- Proactively identify new initiatives that could benefit the organisation.
Skills and attributes:
The more common skills and attributes that are most needed for this role may include:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of work experience in Accounting
- Experienced in a Chartered Accounting firm can be advantageous
- Strong commercial and business acumen
- Process and deadline driven mindset with a keen eye for detail
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong negotiator who can develop ongoing working relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to perform data and statistical analysis to spot trends and anomalies
- Advanced computer software skills, including Excel and other financial software and tools for reporting and analysis purposes
- Bachelor Degree in Accountancy, Finance, or related field
- Professional accounting qualification such as CA or CPA
Financial Accountant - $70 – 100K + Super
Senior Financial Accountant - $100 - 140K + Super
NB: Some organisations offer additional bonuses
To help start your recruitment process, click here to access our job description template.