Job Description & Role Information
For employers looking to fill an Accounts Payable Manager vacancy, the following sample position description can help you to attract the best candidates for the role. By tailoring this position description according to your company's specific job requirements, you have an excellent interview tool for comparison purposes.
For job seekers looking for an Accounts Payable Manager role, this job description details what the role may involve and what skills and experience are required to give you the best chance of securing the position.
Typically reporting to the Finance Manager or Shared Services Manager (in larger companies), the Accounts Payable Manager supervises a team that processes the company’s accounts payable in an accurate, efficient and timely manner.
Typical job duties and responsibilities:
The Accounts Payable Manager must perform a wide range of job duties and responsibilities. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the accounts payable function that may or may not include performing the duties of an Accounts Payable Officer
- Ensuring the team's work is accurate and invoices are approved for payment using the correct process
- Ensuring the team is allocating purchase order numbers (if applicable) and resolving any issues
- Managing the resolution of issues escalated from team members
- Managing the employee expense claims' process
- Planning and execution of the vendor payment runs
- Ensuring credit notes are processed accurately
- Managing the accuracy of the vendor database
- Reconciliation of supplier statement, credit cards etc.
- Generating journals for month end reporting
- Ongoing improvements to the accounts payable process
Skills and attributes:
The more common skills and attributes that are most needed for this role may include:
- Experience performing full function accounts payable duties
- Experience in calculating, posting and managing financial records accurately
- Understanding of basic accounting and accounts payable principles, including general ledger coding
- Staff management experience
- Ability to prioritise and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to identify and project manage new initiatives
- Ability to build good relationships with vendors and suppliers
- Understand the importance of accuracy and attention to detail
- Intermediate computer software skills, including Excel and other accounting packages
$80 - $110k + Super
- Shared Services Manager
To help start your recruitment process, click here to access our job description template.