Chief Financial Officer - Arts - CBD Fringe
Bangarra Dance Theatre is a company of professional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander performers, storytellers and fire makers. As one of Australia’s leading Indigenous performing Arts companies, Bangarra shares 65,000 years of our First Nations’ culture with communities and audiences across Australia and the world. It has been making an indelible mark on the Australian and international theatre landscape for over three decades. It’s at home performing on Country, on Australia’s most iconic stages and running education workshops and programs to nurture the next generation of storytellers. Bangarra is for the hundreds of First Nations Communities across Australia, and for anyone who wants to be part of their stories.
A recent promotion has seen a superb opportunity for a Senior Finance professional to join as Chief Financial Officer reporting to the Executive Director. The role will have the remit of overseeing the Corporate Services team incorporating Finance, HR, IT, and Company Secretarial duties.
This role is based out of Sydney’s creative arts hub in Walsh Bay, on Gadigal country.
What you’ll do:
- Act as a trusted financial advisor to the Executive Director, Board, and Leadership team
- Manage a team of three staff, including Finance and Human Resources
- Provide accurate and timely financial reports, including P&L, balance sheets, cash flow statements, etc for internal and external stakeholders
- Drive the annual budgeting process, provide quarterly forecasts, monitor financial performance, and adjust as needed for fiscal best practice
- Drive the annual audit process, including managing relationships with the auditors and preparation of financial statements in compliance with accounting standards
- Deliver on additional financial reporting requirements for the company including creating four-year strategic financial plans; application and acquittal of funding requests
- Manage and oversee the cash flow of the company, ensuring that appropriate financial controls are in place and are operating effectively
- Lead the efficient and timely delivery of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, BAS, and Payroll functions
- Oversee appropriate controls to safeguard the financial assets, manage all corporate insurance policies for the company
- Provide oversight to the HR function, manage the HR Manager role and ensure the Company complies with Fairwork, Live Performance Award and other legislative requirements
- Oversight employment relationships and contracts to ensure they are consistent with Company culture and legal requirements
- Work with the HR Manager and the Board to regularly review, update and add new company and workplace policies
- Manage relationships, contracts, compliance and interface issues with external providers encouraging best value’ purchasing arrangements
- Provide oversight to the IT support function and ensure company goals are met by efficient and cost-effective IT hard and software
- Oversight of the preparation of annual reports and financial statements as required under relevant laws
- Manage staff and Board adherence with the Company's Constitution; support the induction of Board directors
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation of board minutes
What they offer:
- Flexible work hours and hybrid in office and WFH arrangements
- Professional development, mentoring and support for all staff
- Employee Assistance Program which also includes employees’ households
To be considered for this superb opportunity, Bangarra have a handful of considerations when selecting their successful applicant:
- Previous experience as a Senior Finance leader with exposure to wide-ranging operational oversight such as HR, IT, and Company Secretarial
- Ideally have worked within the not-for-profit sector
- Proven experience in building effective internal relationships with Board members and colleagues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate financial messages to a diverse audience
- CA / CPA qualified (or equivalent qualifications)
- A passion for the arts / music industry, and for the storytelling of First Nations people
Candidates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
Please note: Any direct enquiries to Bangarra will be directed through to Richard Lloyd as part of the screening process.
If you are keen to apply for this Chief Financial Officer role, please contact Kent Maxwell at Richard Lloyd on 02 8324 5644, quoting reference 8234 or click on 'apply now' below.
Please submit your CV in Word format and note that due to the high volume of responses we receive only suitable candidates will be contacted.