Job Description & Role Information
For employers looking to fill an Accounts Payable Officer vacancy, the following sample position description can help you to attract the best candidates for the role. By tailoring this position description according to your company's specific job requirements, you have an excellent interview tool for comparison purposes.
For job seekers looking for an Accounts Payable Officer role, this job description details what the role may involve and what skills and experience are required to give you the best chance of securing the position.
Typically reporting to the Finance Manager or Accounts Payable Manager in larger companies, the Accounts Payable Officer maintains processing and payment of vendor invoices accurately and in a timely manner.
Typical job duties and responsibilities:
To efficiently manage the paying of invoices owed by the company, an Accounts Payable Officer must perform a wide range of job duties and responsibilities. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Check accuracy of invoices
- Input and code invoices to cost centre
- Process invoices
- Match Invoices with Purchase Order (if applicable)
- Send invoices to Manager for payment approval
- Schedule pay runs based on standard company payment terms
- First point of contact with Debtors chasing payment of invoices
- Verify and process employee expense claims and manage the approval and payment process
- Update and maintain vendor database in a timely manner
- Perform reconciliations including supplier statement reconciliations, credit card reconciliations and more
- Support the month end process by providing supporting documentation for month end journals
- Report on Aged Payables plus other ad hoc reporting where applicable
- Identify improvements to the accounts payable process
Skills and attributes:
The more common skills and attributes that are most needed for this role may include:
- Solid understanding of basic accounting and accounts payable principles
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage financial records
- Accurate data entry skills
- Ability to build good relationships with vendors and suppliers
- Ability to prioritise and multitask
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability work as part of a broader team
- Intermediate computer software skills, including Excel and Accounting packages
$45 - 65K + Super
To help start your recruitment process, click here to access our job description template.